Marc Archambault and the team of Hammerhead Stoneworks have installed the last of 5 mosaics they were selected to create for 5 new Norfolk Public Schools at the entrance to Larchmont Elementary.
“Treehouse Orchestra” was inspired by watching a Larchmont Elementary School steel pan drum practice after school one day. The color scheme and design of the drum in the mosaic was inspired by “Phoenix Rising“, a mosaic they created for Richard Bowling Elementary. The heads of the steel pan mallet are cut from bricks salvaged from the original Larchmont School built in 1929.
Across Hampton Boulevard you can see the site of the first Larchmont School, a vacant lot at the corner of Hampton Boulevard and Bolling Avenue.
The original building was built as a four-room schoolhouse in 1913. Until its annexation by the city of Norfolk in 1923, Larchmont was a part of Norfolk County.
In 1930, the city of Norfolk donated the old school to establish the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary (now ODU).